30th Anniversary Gayla
Saturday, September 24th, 2022
5:00 – 10:00 PM
Garage B at The Speedway
1420 Soldiers Field Rd. Boston, MA 02135
To drive, navigate to parking at: 1400 Soldiers Field Rd. Boston, MA 02135
This event is FREE to invited guests! If you received an invitation by email, you are welcome to fill out an RSVP form using the link below – no ticket purchase required.
The Massachusetts Commission on LGBTQ Youth, still the only state commission of its kind, was founded thirty years ago this year. We come together to celebrate our work and accomplishments and those of our community collaborators and allies in government, and to reinvigorate our spirits for the many struggles that lie ahead! The evening will consist of a buffet dinner, dancing, performances, fundraising, and awards. There will also be a premiere screening of a special short film about the Commission in recognition of our anniversary. Please honor us with your presence at this joyous celebration of our history and future!
DJ WhySham aka Your Community DJ is a visionary, activist, traveler, sister, god-parent Dorchester Native and On-air Radio Personality for SparkFM Online’s (Lunch Is Ova). WhySham is the CEO of Boston Got Next Entertainment and visionary of Bringing Back Boston (BBBMA) now known as “The Social Justice Trap Movement” (Creating future womxn engineers using creative arts to address trauma, public and mental health). She believes in bringing music, hardship and pain together while creating events as a release for collective trauma. Her background in Criminal Justice, Communication and Community Outreach has led her to merge her artistry as a DJ.
From El Salvador via Boston MA, it’s Just JP! They use any pronouns. They love makeup, performing in brunches, editing videos, fighting oppression and eating pupusas. Just JP is the reigning Mx. Gay Boston 2022, and the winner of the first cycle of Worcester Drag Wars in 2018. Since then, they’ve been a staple in the New England drag scene. Just JP produces MT’s Drag Stroll every 2nd and 4th mondays at Jacques Cabaret. They also are the Associate Producer of Full Spin and Gay Bash’d, and part of the Henry Paquin Presents performer roster. Follow them in all social media at @dragqueenjp
Haus of Snap is more than a dance group we are a family put in this world to continue spreading awareness for EQUALITY through dance! Haus Of Snap brings you a variety of styles like no other but whats special about us is our forte in hype & fem dances, our mixture in races, and our strong commitment to the LGBTQ community!
- Recommended attire is creative black tie (emphasis on creative!), but your comfort is most important.
- Buffet dinner will accommodate vegetarian, vegan, and gluten-free diets. Those with food allergies or sensitivities will be invited to the buffet first, and ingredients will be available for review.
- The celebration will be held in an indoor-outdoor combination space for maximum COVID-19 safety. Guests must be fully vaccinated. As new booster rollout is just beginning and given access inequities, guests are not expected to have received a booster. However, guests should not attend if they have any COVID-19 symptom, and are encouraged to take a rapid test at home prior to the event regardless of having symptoms. Masks are also encouraged but not required.
- The venue is wheelchair accessible, and there will be two all-gender restrooms.
- There will be a cash bar serving beer and wine to 21+ guests. A government-issued ID will be required to purchase alcohol. The bar accepts cards, cash, Venmo, and Cashapp.
- Guests under the age of 18 must attend with an adult chaperone. Each should fill out their own RSVP form.
- Free parking is available next door at Charles River Community Health at 1400 Soldiers Field Rd. Boston, MA 02135. The Speedway is also located close to the 70 and 86 bus lines on Western Avenue.
There is no cost to attend for invited guests, but you must RSVP to be on the guest list. The RSVP form will provide an opportunity to note accessibility needs or anything else that would help you better enjoy the Gayla, but if you have any additional questions, you can reach out to Molly at email@example.com. We hope you can make it!